BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- We're kicking off an important week for stocks this morning, even if it doesn't feel like it.
The S&P 500 has spent the last four trading sessions moving sideways, but it's been consolidating just 1 percentage point shy of all-time highs. On Friday, the big index hit the highest trading volume it's seen in almost a year before reversing to close 0.29% lower on the day. All of that is a pretty clear indication that there's a big battle going on between buyers and sellers right now.If buyers can wrestle control, it could spark a big rally in the S&P. Otherwise, if sellers take command of stocks, it'll mean a correction. Either way it resolves, we're positioning ourselves for the best upside by taking a look at five new "Rocket Stock" names this week. >>5 Stocks Under $10 Set to Soar For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 241 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 81.23%. Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV