NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Unwired Planet (UPIP) continued to climb on Monday after news late last week that Lenovo (LNVGY) would buy a patent portfolio from the mobile technology and licensing provider.
The patent purchase contains 21 patent families and includes 3G and LTE mobile network patents. Lenovo will pay Unwired Planet $100 million in cash and will receive access to Unwired's portfolio for the next several years.
The deal should close within 30 days of its announcement. Afterwards, Unwired's portfolio will contain approximately 2,500 issued and pending patents.
"This investment is an extension of Lenovo's existing intellectual property portfolio," said Lenovo general counsel Jay Clemens in a statement. "It will serve the company well as we grow and develop our worldwide smartphone and mobile PC Plus business in new markets."The stock had a one-day high of $2.10 as of 11:02 a.m. on Monday. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV