NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Good news! Nu Skin Enterprises (NUS) is only getting fined.
If you're short Herbalife (HLF), you better take a close look at Nu Skinand what happens when a stock priced for destruction receives a stay of execution.
Nu Skin, the network marketing health care product maker, said China's Administration of Industry and Commerce will only hit Nu Skin with $540,000 in fines for unregistered direct sales and product claims lacking sufficient evidence to support stated benefits.
The market heard this and saw a significant victory because China could've barred the company from ever selling its products there again.
Nu Skin shares soared over 30% in pre-market trading and now are up 19% to $89. Nu Skin Enterprises voluntarily suspended business promotional meetings and new applications for sales representatives earlier this year and hasn't resumed recruiting pending direction from Chinese regulators.
Nu Skin Enterprises' short-seller blood bath on Monday is nothing compared to what Herbalife investors will face if it receives a comparable Chinese resolution. Only 4.7% of Nu Skin Enterprises shares are shorted compared to neck-tightening 24% short interest for Herbalife.
For Herbalife investors, an announced slap on the wrist could send shares 50% higher before the opening bell. I warned investors that shorting Herbalife is full of peril offering little chance to profit. Maybe if you're skilled at active day trading a profit can be squeezed out of trading options, but if you buy and hold put options, you have a negative expectation in my view.I also posted a Real Money Pro trade idea that included selling the August $40 put before the market opened on Friday. It's fantastic that it turned out to be the high of the day, but more importantly is it places you in a position to receive the best of it when others panic.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV