But now McMillon is ready to play some offense. The Walmart he is building plans to be a different company, more ubiquitous, and a better bargain.
First, and perhaps most important, is that Walmart is no longer willing to be only that darkness on the edge of town. The company, which developed as the one choice for bargains in small towns, and expanded into an all-in-one retailer whose Supercenters replaced small town centers, is now moving in many different directions, all at once.(CVX) and Exxon-Mobil (XOM), Sam's Club warehouses to compete with Costco (COST), Neighborhood Market stores that compete with Kroger (KR), Walmart Express stores that compete with Family Dollar (FDO), alongside the traditional Walmart Supercenters and its original discount stores. Buc-ees in Texas, which can be more than 60,000 square feet. Online efforts represent a seventh channel, or they could represent an eighth as the company looks to add pick-up windows for online shoppers to some of its existing outlets, in an effort to compete with Amazon.com (AMZN). Walmart has often run price comparison ads in various markets. Now it's taking that online through an app it calls the Savings Catcher, collecting customer receipt numbers and comparing what was paid with what other stores in the area charged for the same goods. The company's mobile apps also list specials, show where they are when you're in the store, check product availability and handle customer shopping lists. Walmart is also aiming to get high-income customers back into its Supercenters with irresistible bargains.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV