NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Cisco Systems
(CSCO - Get Report) may move higher Monday after it was reported the company was planning a cloud computing service for corporate customers, and plans to invest $1 billion over the next two years to as it looks to take on Amazon.com
(AMZN) and others.
The Wall Street Journal reported the company will build data centers to help run the new service, called Cisco Cloud Services. Cisco plans to take advantage of companies' desire to rent computing services instead of buying and maintaining their own machines, according to the Journal.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates CISCO SYSTEMS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about its recommendation:"We rate CISCO SYSTEMS INC (CSCO) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its reasonable valuation levels, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.31, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Despite the fact that CSCO's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 2.42 is high and demonstrates strong liquidity.
- CISCO SYSTEMS INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CISCO SYSTEMS INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.86 versus $1.49 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.99 versus $1.86).
- The gross profit margin for CISCO SYSTEMS INC is rather high; currently it is at 64.07%. Regardless of CSCO's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 12.78% trails the industry average.
- CSCO, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 1.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 7.8%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CSCO Ratings Report