NEW YORK, March 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- S&P Capital IQ, a leading provider of multi-asset class research data and analytics, today released a study of 4th quarter 2013 13F filings by pure play hedge funds in the U.S. which indicates that Telecoms and Healthcare were the sectors' major buys. In fact, Telecoms saw $2.9 billion worth of buys and Healthcare $2.8 billion.
S&P Capital IQ performs its hedge fund analysis quarterly in order to help investors understand what the most prominent U.S.-based hedge funds are buying, holding and selling. "Our firm develops its analysis through an examination of SEC filings accessed via proprietary Excel based models. In turn, clients can use these models to better spot global trends in various asset categories and see what some of the largest investors are targeting," said Tony Elyahou, Senior Director, S&P Capital IQ.
"Looking at recent filings as well as S&P Capital IQ's Holding Aggregator and Investor Profile Reports, available on the S&P Capital IQ platform, aggregate holdings of the ten top 10 pure play hedge funds - as determined by their total equity assets from 13F filings - shows Telecoms and Healthcare as the major buys," said Pavle Sabic, Credit Market Development, S&P Capital IQ. "It's interesting to note that Healthcare, the top sell sector last quarter, is now the second top buy."
Other findings in S&P Capital IQ's study include:
- Extended Stay America Inc. saw 6 hedge funds buy-into this IPO, making it the largest overall new position (in terms of number of hedge fund buys and dollars invested) with over $1.47 billion invested.
- Vodafone, Apple and Facebook have the top 3 spots in the Top 10 Increases in Existing Position, with $1.1, $1.1 and $1 billion respectively.
- Netflix, Comcast and eBay were the top 3 overall sells among these hedge funds, with over $2.6 billion sold off in total.
- Search engine companies Yahoo! and Google also saw sell offs of $627 million and $579 million respectively. Another notable internet company, Twitter, still hasn't made the Top 100 positions for the top 10 hedge funds since its IPO last November.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV