It's Not Easy for Banks to Sell You on New Services
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Banks spend tons of money figuring out how you like to spend and save money, especially when it comes to using credit cards and mobile banking, two huge profit center for financial institutions.
The credit card industry will process about $4 trillion in card transactions this year, according to Business Insider, and Albany, N.Y.-based ResearchMoz reports that mobile banking is also flexing its muscles, growing from 480 million U.S. users at the end of 2012 to 1.08 billion by 2016.
Those big numbers are representative of why banks want to know how financial consumers view new savings and payment technologies in the credit card, mobile banking and virtual-wallet consumer financial market segments.
One data analysis firm, Redwood City, Calif.-based Rocket Fuel, thinks it knows more about your banking habits in that regard than you do.In a study of 750 banking consumers 18 and older who own at least one credit card and who have at least expressed an interest in mobile banking, the firm reveals some interesting viewpoints on banking services and credit card use: You like mobile banking -- to a point. Rocket Fuel says 59% of Americans have at least one mobile banking app on their smartphone, but mostly it's used for basic tasks such as checking account balances. Far less widely used are money apps such as virtual wallets (7% of Americans use them) and money transfers (15%). You're not happy about your credit card. The study notes that 35% of adults say they're in the market for a new credit card in the next six months. But people who make $150,000 are 50% more likely to switch credit cards than people who make $50,000 per year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV