By midafternoon, the nano-cap had added 11.5% to $1.75.
Trading volume of 2.15 million was more than triple its three-month daily average of 595k.
Year to date, the Taiwan-based business has gained 77.4%.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates GIGAMEDIA LTD as a Hold with a ratings score of C-. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate GIGAMEDIA LTD (GIGM) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the growth in the company's net income has been quite unimpressive." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, GIGM's share price has jumped by 50.48%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- GIGM has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 6.87, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- GIGAMEDIA LTD has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GIGAMEDIA LTD continued to lose money by earning -$0.26 versus -$1.29 in the prior year.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Internet Software & Services industry and the overall market, GIGAMEDIA LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Internet Software & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 153.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $5.87 million to -$3.11 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GIGM Ratings Report