The food in Austin was a rich vein of pleasure. Food trucks were everywhere -- some of them were just what you would expect and some of them were practically gourmet.
You could OD on tacos in a couple days. Breakfast tacos -- an area specialty -- was one of the most talked about variations on the whole tortilla-and-filling thing.The trucks were always an option, but the storefronts also offered a broad selection of food for any pallet. With Deb Borchardt and videographer Sophie Bearman, I had great conversation and Creole steak to die for at Old Pecan Street Cafe on Trinity Street downtown. A Mexican dinner on my own a couple nights later at the busy El Sol y La Luna restaurant on Sixth Avenue -- a street packed with festival goers 16 hours a day -- was equally satisfying, if a lot less fancy. The colorful tile mural that takes up one wall is worth stopping in to see. Most of the time, the schedule was so busy it necessitated just grabbing food on the go -- hence, the food trucks. There were also pizza places, including the improbable, Hoboken Pie (I didn't get a chance to sample and compare their fare against the real deal in New Jersey) and Hoek's Death Metal Pizza on Sixth -- the pie at Hoek's was just so-so by New Jersey standards, but I had to eat there for the name.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV