Then there is founder and CEO Jack Ma. Ma has been able to successfully navigate Alibaba through the difficult Chinese Internet regulatory environment. He is a popular public speaker with his fluency in English, which helps him greatly dealing in the U.S.
Analysts have given varying value estimates for Alibaba but the consensus is $153 billion. This makes Alibaba nearly twice as big as eBay.
What does the IPO really mean to Yahoo!! and Japan's Softbank (OTC: SFTBF), which owns 37% of Alibaba?
Yahoo!'s stake in Alibaba is valued at more than 95% of Yahoo!'s current market cap while Softbank's stake is 59% of its current market cap. Yahoo!'s shares could rally on the hype surrounding Alibaba's IPO but it has to sell 10% of that stake once the IPO is completed.However, the equity sale could give a significant boost to Yahoo!'s cash reserves. If Alibaba is valued at $153 billion, then Yahoo! could get $15.3 billion from the sale. Yahoo! has been struggling with increasing its revenue. The company could use the massive cash inflow from Alibaba's equity sale to expand in other areas in its hunt for top-line growth. Like other technology companies such as Facebook (FB), Alibaba and Rakuten, which just bought messaging app Viber, Yahoo! could also go after a company with a hot messaging app. Or Yahoo! could use the cash to increase its non-acquisition-related capital expenditures, or return the cash to shareholders.
But first the dust must settle after the IPO, when Yahoo!'s shares could go either way. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV