NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- InterCloud Systems (ICLD) plunged 33.2% to $6.90 at 10:59 a.m. on Friday after The Rosen Law Firm announced it had begun an investigation into the company for possible securities fraud claims.
The law firm is looking into claims that InterCloud may have paid outsiders to increase its stock by publishing false and misleading articles. According to the law firm's press release, the articles in question appeared in Fall 2013 from John Mylant and "Kingmaker," who supposedly ran a volatility trading group. The two praised InterCloud's stock in their articles.
On March 13, an article posted on Seeking Alpha cited emails allegedly from Mylant stating that he was a paid promoter who worked with companies that employed him to favorably publicize said companies while claiming that he was independent from them. After trading hours on March 17, journalist Roddy Boyd claimed that DreamTeam Group, a stock promotion firm, works with writers like Mylant to craft misleading campaigns in the press and that it had done so with InterCloud.
On March 13 and 18, InterCloud's stock price fell $1.19 and $1.28 a share, respectively.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV