NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Unwired Planet (UPIP) is soaring in pre-market trading Friday on the announcement Lenovo (LNVGY) will purchase a portfolio of patents from the mobile technology and licensing provider.
Before the bell, shares had exploded 62.3% to $2.11.
The patent purchase involves 21 patent families, including patents related to 3G and LTE mobile networks.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Unwired Planet will receive $100 million in a cash payment from Lenovo. "This investment is an extension of Lenovo's existing intellectual property portfolio," said Lenovo general counsel Jay Clemens in a statement. "It will serve the company well as we grow and develop our worldwide smartphone and mobile PC Plus business in new markets." As part of the agreement, Lenovo has access to Unwired Planet's IP portfolio for several years. The deal is expected to close in 30 days. After the transaction, Unwired Planet's portfolio will consist of around 2,500 issued and pending patents. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV