This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

eBay Inc: Carl Icahn Now Calling For Just Partial PayPal IPO

In his latest public statement, Carl Icahn has now focused entirely on his push for a spinoff for PayPal

As the back-and-forth between Carl Icahn and eBay Inc (EBAY - Get Report) director Marc Andreessen continues, today Icahn is focusing on the other part of his argument. However, he’s changed his argument a bit and now wants eBay to spin off just part of PayPal but keep majority control of the payment services provider. He released a new statement on the topic via his site Shareholders’ Square Table today.

carl icahn ebay

Icahn: eBay should spin off 20% of PayPal

The activist investor is now calling for eBay Inc (EBAY - Get Report) to spin off just 20% of PayPal and keep the other 80% of it. It seems almost like a sort of compromise on a topic that has been a major point of contention between Icahn and the online auction company’s board of directors.

Icahn said he thinks a partial initial public offering “will provide the best opportunity for these businesses to remain competitive over the long-term.” He said it allows for “all of the benefits” of PayPal being independent from eBay Inc (EBAY - Get Report) while keeping PayPal within eBay. He also suggested that the structure of such an offering could be tax-free to shareholders.

According to Carl Icahn, a 20% spinoff of PayPal highlights value for eBay Inc (EBAY - Get Report) shareholders and focuses the management teams of both companies. He said it also “creates a valuable currency for acquisitions” and attracts “top talent.” Other benefits he lists are that it preserves the synergies which exist within both companies and that it makes it easier for PayPal to extend its product offerings. In a sort of side stab at eBay’s board—again—he said a 20% spinoff would allow both eBay and PayPal to “reconstitute” their boards and “appoint board members who are not conflicted and do not compete with the underlying companies.”

Icahn has no answer for Andreessen—yet

Today eBay Inc (EBAY - Get Report) director Marc Andreessen fired the next shot at Carl Icahn, who has been complaining about conflicts of interest he sees for Andreessen. Specifically, he has been complaining about eBay’s sale of Skype. Icahn hasn’t responded to Andreessen’s latest post, but he probably will before too long.

The post eBay Inc: Carl Icahn Now Calling For Just Partial PayPal IPO appeared first on ValueWalk.

-By Michelle Jones

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
EBAY $29.00 0.00%
AAPL $118.03 -0.71%
FB $105.41 -0.31%
GOOG $748.15 -0.02%
TSLA $229.64 5.22%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 17,813.39 +1.20 0.01%
S&P 500 2,088.87 -0.27 -0.01%
NASDAQ 5,116.1430 +13.3350 0.26%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs