Kia's K900 Is a Well Done Start to a Surprising Luxury Bid
SAN DIEGO (TheStreet) -- The surprises began the minute I slid into the driver's seat.
Sitting in Kia's K900, a luxury sedan that will soon be released to the American market, is like sitting in an ultra luxurious cockpit.
You're surrounded by leather upholstery, real wood and aluminum accents and all sorts of unexpected and fun technology. It's all topped off by a panoramic sunroof that runs the full length of the car and opens up the cabin, making it feel light and airy great for a sunny, Southern California day.So, yes, I had to keep reminding myself that the car I was sitting in was ... a Kia, a car offered up by a manufacturer long known for budget vehicles. But as Kia's executive vice president for sales and marketing, Michael Sprague, points out during our interview, the Kia Motors' brand slogan is "The power to surprise." I for one am truly surprised by the K900. "It's fascinating to hear people question us, 'Why are you doing this?'" Sprague says. "No one asked Mercedes why they were moving down in the market, so why are you questioning us about moving up?" "We saw a consumer mindset shift," Sprague says. "Consumers are looking for new definitions of luxury not defined by tradition and heritage. Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Audi, have been around for 100 years, or in some cases a little less. A lot of consumers are saying 'I don't want tradition and heritage, I want something new.' Particularly among the tech obsessed consumers. We call them confident individualists."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV