NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- LionsGate (LGF) is hoping for its next blockbuster in Divergent, the latest post-apocalyptic young-adult novel series turned film franchise. But can it repeat the success it had with The Hunger Games?
Early reviews haven't been glowing. The film, which follows a world in which society has been fractured into different factions based on virtues, has only received a 34% approval rating on film reviews site Rotten Tomatoes.
In his review, TIME Magazine's Mike Ryan wrote, "It's impossible to ignore the overwhelming sense that we've seen all this before, only with better execution."
And Rolling Stone's Peter Travers said, "The faithful but dramatically flat film version of Divergent, from Veronica Roth's 2011 bestseller, couldn't stir palpitations in shut-ins. It's that bland and lifeless."But what the film's success boils down to isn't critical acclaim, but teenage response. And in that respect, Divergent looks promising. According to Reuters, box office analysts project opening weekend ticket sales between $50 million and $68 million in domestic markets. While that's one-third of the $152.5 million generated by the first film in The Hunger Games franchise, it is by no measure weak -- making comparisons to the wildly successful film starring Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen is a high bar to measure any film against. Given the Divergent trilogy has sold more than 17 million copies worldwide, this movie already has an existing fan base to appeal to, let alone new audiences it can draw through marketing and buzz. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates LIONS GATE ENTERTAINMENT CP as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate LIONS GATE ENTERTAINMENT CP (LGF) a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, notable return on equity, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- LGF's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 4.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 12.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 118.51% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 38.61% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- LIONS GATE ENTERTAINMENT CP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, LIONS GATE ENTERTAINMENT CP turned its bottom line around by earning $1.57 versus -$0.30 in the prior year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Media industry. The net income increased by 134.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $37.83 million to $88.76 million.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Media industry and the overall market, LIONS GATE ENTERTAINMENT CP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: LGF Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV