NEW YORK (TheStreet) --U.S. bank stocks continued surging Thursday on what analysts said was continued optimism over a reduction in the Federal Reserve's bond buying program and expectations of imminent dividend hikes and share buyback announcements.
Bank of America shares were up 1.89% to $17.77. JPMorgan shares were higher by 2.42% to $59.77. Wells Fargo shares were up 1.79% to $48.67 and Citigroup shares were up 2.1% to $49.97. All of those banks except Citigroup hit new multi-year highs.
"People want to buy banks of the basis that they will benefit from rising rates at some point in time," said Atlantic Equities analyst Richard Staite in an interview Thursday.
Rising interest rates allow banks to earn more money in their bread and butter business of borrowing short and lending long. What's more, it takes depositors a long time to demand higher interest rates on their money, so banks can put that money to work either by investing it or lending it out at no cost.
Rates are expected to rise because the Fed, under new chairwoman Janet Yellen announced it would cut back its monthly purchases of Treasury bonds and mortgage-backed securities by $10 billion--to $55 billion.
Another factor may be the expectation that banks will gain approval to raise dividends and buy back shares, argues Rafferty Capital Markets analyst Dick Bove, also interviewed Thursday. The Federal Reserve will announce the results of its annual "stress tests" Thursday, while on March 26 banks will be able to raise dividends and buy back shares following the Fed's review of their plans to do so, known as the Comprehensive Capital Analysis and Review.
In the case of Bank of America, for example, Bove believes it will rise to at least 5 cents per quarter from its current level of a penny. He also believes $500 million worth of buybacks for the bank "would not be unexpected."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV