TheStreet's Jim Cramer, co-manager of the Action Alerts PLUS portfolio, said a lot of ipeople bought Symantec because it had a new CEO and was involved in online security. "How can you miss?" was the thinking, he said.
However, Symantec didn't "change with the times" and was focusing on personal computers rather than mobile.
Pointing to FireEye
(FEYE), Cramer said that a stock can do very well in this industry when it delivers but when it offered 14 million shares in a secondary offering, FireEye shares suffered.
Cramer admitted he "fears" that when the insiders in Symantec start selling their shares, the stock will suffer. He also thinks this will happen to any company going public now.
"Insider selling is what wrecked 2000," Cramer concluded, and it can wreck these companies, too.
- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV