After being banned from receiving U.S. government contracts and from participating in the lucrative Gulf of Mexico lease auctions, BP has finally won the confidence of regulators. The ban, which was imposed after the infamous 2010 deep-water Horizon disaster, has now been lifted.
As expected, BP participated in the government sale of Gulf of Mexico acreage held on Wednesday and ended up winning 24 of its 31 bids.
Moreover, the oil giant has found a way to bypass the U.S. crude export ban and could become the first company to sell crude outside of the U.S. in four decades (although it would technically be selling slightly refined crude).Although BP recently reported a massive drop in quarterly profits, its long term outlook appears brighter. The company's American depositary receipts (ADR) are down about 2% this year, trading mid-day at to $46.50. This implies a price-to-earnings ratio of just 6.4. The company offers a juicy yield of 4.7% and is attractive for long term investors. BP has finally reached on an agreement with the Environmental Protection Agency. After 16 difficult months, the struggling oil giant can once again start doing business with the federal government. After the Horizon oil spill disaster in 2010, BP was banned in 2012 from getting any U.S. government contracts and from leasing additional offshore properties in the Gulf of Mexico. Due to the ban, BP went from one of the top fuel suppliers to the Pentagon to the biggest losers among all government contractors. Last year, BP witnessed a loss of $654 million in federal contracts due to the absence of any major U.S. government or military contracts. This was in stark contrast to 2012, when BP was awarded contracts worth $2.51 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV