NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of medical company IsoRay (ISR) continue to skyrocket Thursday on the news of a breakthrough in tumor treatment. The Washington State-based company was up 23.5% to $3.13 in early trading Thursday.
The patient -- a 12 year old boy in North Carolia -- had been diagnosed with a recurrent metastatic Wilms tumor in his left chest. In a press release from IsoRay, Dr. Anthony Crimaldi, the doctor who treated him, said: "I worked closely with IsoRay to design a custom mesh containing Cesium-131 sources and we were able to place the mesh at the time of surgery so as not to expose critical organs to high doses of radiation (lung, spinal cord, and aorta). Post-treatment dose calculations were performed confirming the delivery of dose to the resection bed and sparing of the critical structures. The patient recovered normally and has been discharged home."
The successful surgery represents a breakthough in cancer treatment as previous attempts to irradiate the tumor had failed while the surgery using IsoRay's Cesium 131 capsules succeeded. "With the Cesium-131 seeded mesh we can get the optimal dose to the area of concern at the time of surgery -- which we think is a real benefit for the patient," said IsoRay CEO Dwight Babcock.
TheStreet Ratings team rates ISORAY INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, ISORAY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to -$0.85 million or 47.38% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The gross profit margin for ISORAY INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 14.38%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, ISR's net profit margin of -85.43% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- ISORAY INC has improved earnings per share by 33.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Stable earnings per share over the past two years indicate the company has managed its earnings and share float. We anticipate this stability to falter in the coming year and, in turn, the company to deliver lower earnings per share than the prior full year. During the past fiscal year, ISORAY INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.11 versus -$0.12 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 18.2% in earnings (-$0.13 versus -$0.11).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry average. The net income increased by 19.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from -$1.16 million to -$0.93 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ISR Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV