Shares began gaining early in Wednesday's session, but active traders certainly could have caught at the least a significant part of the days gains. Shares opened at less than $60, shot up to $64 by roughly 10:00 a.m. EDT and then trended higher throughout the day, closing at $69.40. The stock was recently changing hands at about $70.26.
The catalyst was First Solar's announcement of positive forward guidance -- but not just for 2014. The company issued guidance for the next three years, and the estimates were enough to boost investor sentiment.
Investors had underestimated the company's prospects, and that's why the stock ripped 20% higher Wednesday and is gaining on Thursday.
So if you don't already own First Solar, what are you to do? Surely it's never a good idea to buy a stock that's up 20% in one day. At the same time, this new guidance means that shares were undervalued previously.
Prospective buyers may also get a hand if the broader market pulls back a bit in the next few weeks and drags First Solar down with it. I would think that the previous top near $65 would be a great place to initiate a long position. Obviously, lower would be nicer, but I doubt we're going to see shares in the low $60s anytime soon. For 2014, the company guided for earnings per share of $2.20 to $2.60, on revenue of $3.7 billion to $4 billion. According to Yahoo! Finance, analysts were looking for EPS of $3.21 on sales of $3.77 billion. Although earnings per share will likely be lower than they had expected for the year, analysts' sales prediction is now at the lower end of the company's range. That's bullish, especially in an environment where investors are craving top-line growth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV