SALT LAKE CITY, March 20, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Myriad Genetics, Inc. (Nasdaq:MYGN) today noted that the Society of Gynecologic Oncology (SGO) has issued new clinical practice statements surrounding hereditary cancer testing for patients with ovarian and endometrial cancer. The statements are consistent with the recently revised National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guidelines and support broader access to genetic testing for patients with ovarian and endometrial cancer.
"Historically, hereditary cancer testing has been underutilized in gynecologic cancers. The new practice recommendations underscore the importance of testing as a clinical management tool," said Sharyn N. Lewin, M.D., assistant clinical professor of gynecologic oncology at Columbia University Medical Center. "Every woman with ovarian or endometrial cancer should be tested by their healthcare provider in order to guide therapy and potentially save the lives of unaffected family members."
Some of the key aspects of the statements include:
- A recommendation that women diagnosed with epithelial ovarian, tubal and peritoneal cancers should be considered for genetic counseling and testing even in the absence of family history;
- A recommendation that all women diagnosed with endometrial cancer should undergo systematic clinical screening (review of personal and family history) and/or molecular screening for hereditary colon cancer risk; and
- An acknowledgement of the advantages of cancer gene panels including decreased cost, improved efficiency, and the fact that a negative genetic test is more reassuring because it eliminates concerns about an inherited risk for all known genes.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts