By David Russell of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Semiconductors have been strong recently, and Wednesday the bulls piled into industry leader Intel (INTC).
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected the purchase of more than 43,000 October 30 calls in the chip giant, most of which priced for 22 cents to 25 cents. Volume was more than 11 times the previous open interest at the strike, indicating that new money was put to work.
These long calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased, letting investors cheaply position for a move higher without necessarily buying the stock. That way they limit their risk but also are assured that won't miss a rally.Intel shares rose 0.81% to $25.02 on Wednesday. The stock peaked above $27 in January, dropped on a disappointing quarterly report, and traded as low as $23.50 by early February. It spent more than a month in a tight range but has been ramping higher in the last week. Total option volume in the name Wednesday was quadruple its daily average, with calls outnumbering puts by almost 9 to 1. Other chip companies such as Qualcomm, Cypress Semiconductor, and Lam Research have also seen bullish activity in recent sessions. Russell has no positions in INTC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV