LONDON (The Deal) -- European and Asian indices followed U.S. markets lower on Thursday after comments from Federal Reserve boss Janet Yellen pointed to earlier-than-expected rate rises from the world's most powerful central bank.
In London, the FTSE 100 was down 0.67% at 6,529.39, with 84 of the constituent companies posting declines.
Clothing retailer Next was a rare gainer after posting earnings in the financial year ended January ahead of expectations and increasing its forecast for sales growth in the current year.
Pharmaceuticals company GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) slid after it reported that clinical trials for a compound in development to treat lung cancer hadn't demonstrated any benefit to patients in the test.In Frankfurt, the DAX slipped 0.51% to 9,230.00. Bayerische Motoren Werke built on Wednesday's gains after positive commentary about the 2014 profit outlook. Insurer Munich RE rose after it announced a 1 billion euros ($1.38 billion) share buyback and 2013 profit of 3.3 billion euros that it said was the third highest in the company's history. In Paris, the CAC 40 slid 0.57% to 4,283.55. In Hong Kong, the Hang Seng dropped 1.79% to close at 21,282.16. Clothing supplier Li & Fung, a major vendor to Wal-Mart Stores, carved out a near-1% gain after announcing a 21% increase in 2013 net profit to $755 million, as earnings rebounded more than expected from a decline in 2012. It also announced a new three-year plan focused on expanding through organic growth. In Tokyo, the Nikkei 225 closed down 1.65% at 14,224.23.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV