Selfies First, Surgery Second for More of Us
When social media fans turn to plastic surgery over unflattering selfies, narcissism can't begin to describe the issue.
But that's exactly what's happening, according to the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. It says plastic surgeons are seeing more clients walk through their doors wanting work done to "fix" problems linked to unflattering self portraits intended for social media sites.
The organization reports from a survey of its 2,700 members last year that 33% of its surgeons say they are fielding requests from patients who want facial work done to improve their images on sites such as Facebook and Twitter.Most of that activity is from younger Americans, who may not be regular customers at plastic surgery clinics but certainly are huge users of social media, and 58% of facial plastic surgeons surveyed saw an upward spike in surgical repairs from Americans under 30. "Social platforms like Instagram, Snapchat and the iPhone app Selfie.im, which are solely image based, force patients to hold a microscope up to their own image and often look at it with a more self-critical eye than ever before," says Edward Farrior, president of the academy. "These images are often the first impressions young people put out there to prospective friends, romantic interests and employers, and our patients want to put their best face forward."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV