NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Starbucks (SBUX) wants to be a "$100-billion" market cap company.
As the the coffee chain holds its' annual investor day, Starbucks said in a press release that it is aiming to double its market cap to $100 billion as part of its long-term growth targets. "We're still in the early stages of the growth and development of Starbucks, we're delivering record profits and revenue, sharing our success with our partners and heading towards and past a $100 billion market cap," said Howard Schultz, Starbucks' chairman, president and CEO. "No other brick-and-mortar retailer matches our size and growth profile nor the relevancy and strength of the Starbucks brand. Together we're building one of the world's most trusted, admired and enduring brands, and redefining the role of a public company while we do it. There has never been a more exciting time to be a Starbucks partner and shareholder."
Since November 2008, at the height of the financial crisis, Starbucks market cap has expanded from $5 billion to $57 billion, the release stated. Schultz returned to run the company he founded in January 2008.
Shares were rising 2.1% on Wednesday to $76.16, giving Starbucks a market capitalization of about $57.57 billion.With more than 20,000 stores in 64 countries, Starbucks has gone from neighborhood coffee shop to a global mega-company, investing not only in coffee sourcing, but expanding the business to include more food options and is now looking to tea as a natural extension of its product line. Starbucks -- with Schultz at the helm -- has emerged as one of the leading U.S. companies today as it focuses on eco-friendly and employee-friendly strategies. The company wants to "reinvent" the $90-billion global tea category, which Schultz says is "ripe for innovation." Follow @LKulikowski
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV