BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- What's the "smart money" buying in 2014? Who cares! The stocks that fund managers are selling this year can tell you a whole lot more.
Investors love knowing what the pros are buying -- that's only natural. But it's the sell list -- the names that institutional investors hate the most -- that represent some of the biggest conviction moves. Scouring fund managers' hate list is valuable for two important reasons: It includes names you should sell too, and it includes names that could soon present buying opportunities.
Why would you buy a name that pro investors hate? It's because, often, when investors get emotionally involved with the names in their portfolios, they do the wrong thing. The big performance gap between hedge funds and the S&P 500 Index in the last year is proof of that. So that leaves us free to take a more sober look at the names fund managers are capitulating on.Luckily for us, we can get a glimpse at exactly which stocks top hedge funds hate lists by looking at 13F statements. Institutional investors with more than $100 million in assets are required to file a 13F, a form that breaks down their stock positions for public consumption. >>Invest Like a Hedge Fund With the Pros' Top 5 Stocks From hedge funds to mutual funds to insurance companies, any professional investors who manage more than that $100 million watermark are required to file a 13F. All told, 3,738 hedge funds filed the form for the most recent quarter, so by comparing one periods filing to another, we can get a sneak peek at how early filers are moving their portfolios around. Without further ado, heres a look at five stocks fund managers hate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV