What To Hold: 3 Hold-Rated Dividend Stocks CMO, EDR, LINE
Education Realty (NYSE: EDR) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.50%. Education Realty Trust, Inc., a real estate investment trust (REIT), develops, acquires, owns, and manages student housing communities located near university campuses in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 243.25. The average volume for Education Realty has been 1,234,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Education Realty has a market cap of $1.1 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 10.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Education Realty as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, deteriorating net income and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 33.6%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- EDUCATION REALTY TRUST INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, EDUCATION REALTY TRUST INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.05 versus -$0.01 in the prior year. This year, the market expects earnings to be in line with last year ($0.05 versus $0.05).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, EDUCATION REALTY TRUST INC underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 65.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $4.79 million to $1.64 million.
- EDR has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 11.00% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, other than the push or pull of the broad market, we do not see anything in the company's numbers that may help reverse the decline experienced over the past 12 months. Despite the past decline, the stock is still selling for more than most others in its industry.
- You can view the full Education Realty Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts