NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Weak Japanese exports and tighter U.S. monetary policy may lead to selling pressure on the yen and the CurrencyShares Japanese Yen Trust
Japanese exports grew 9.8% in February, falling short of estimates for a 12.4% increase.
Bank of Japan policymakers had hoped a export number would help cushion an upcoming sales tax hike next month that could hinder economic activity, but weakness in both China and U.S. economies deterred spending on Japanese products.
With the release of the latest export figure, some Japanese officials now see additional stimulus as an option.
Although that may not come to fruition, the discussion is sure to bring the yen lower against its foreign trading partners.
Alongside speculation about more Japanese stimulus, the potential for tighter U.S. monetary policy could bring the yen down from its intermediate uptrend.Janet Yellen, Federal Reserve chairwoman, is set to release the central bank's March policy decision on Wednesday, with many traders already pricing in a $10 billion reduction of bond purchases. Although a stimulus cut is priced into trading, forward guidance from Yellen regarding when she believes the central bank will raise interest rates is sure to be the focus of the market. The unemployment rate is fast approaching its target at 6.5%, and with many economists writing off the past few months of bad data to weather, policymakers may elect to move up the date of interest rate hikes. Yellen's economic assessment is sure to affect the relationship between the CurrencyShares Japanese Yen Trust and the PowerShares DB US Dollar Index Bullish (UUP) over the next few months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV