Updated from 10:58 am EST to include pricing information.
Google announced that it is launching Chromecast in 11 more countries -- Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden and the U.K., according to a March 18 blog post by Mario Queiroz, Google's vice president of product management for Chromecast.
Chromecast will be sold for about $50 U.S. dollars in the U.K. and Europe and about $35 U.S. dollars in Canada, according to a Google spokeswoman. Google Chromecast is currently on sale in the U.S. for $35.Google first launched Chromecast in July 2013. Google was gearing up to begin selling Chromecast internationally was reported last week after Google's SVP of Androids, Apps and Chrome, Sundar Pichai, shared the information during a keynote speech at South by Southwest (SXSW) in Austin, Texas. Google has not given a specific number on how many of the USB flash-like devices it has sold, but has said that sales are in the "millions." In contrast, Apple (AAPL), with its industry leading Apple TV, has become more than a hobby, which it was referred to as by former CEO Steve Jobs and current CEO Timothy D. Cook. At Apple's latest shareholder meeting, Cook noted Apple TV generated more than $1 billion in yearly revenue for the Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple. Google is selling Chromecast internationally through Amazon, Google Play, Currys PC World, Elkjop, FNAC, Saturn, Media Markt and other retailers, according to the blog.The company is also working with local providers in said countries to add more content in addition to apps like YouTube, Google Play Movies, Google Play Music and Netflix (NFLX). (AMZN) is getting ready to ship its streaming device next month, which will also be in the form of a dongle, according to reports.
--Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV