5 More Ways to Ensure You Get That Job
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Last week, we listed five ways to speed up a job hunt, including freshening up resumes, taking "months" off past-job dates (but leaving the years) and being frank and honest about gaps in a job history.
Yes, it's only one week later, but for the unemployed it's never too soon to come up with more tips on landing that big job.
After all, only 42% of all American adults are working more than 30 hours per week these days, according to Gallup. That's the lowest level since early 2011, and a clear indication too many households aren't getting the income they need.
We reached out to Snagajob, a Richmond, Va., online job search service, to come up with more search tips for job hunters. Here's what Kim Costa, a job-seeker specialist at the firm, advises:Spell check, not once, not twice, but three times. Costa says a surefire way to get your resume tossed in the circular file is to fill it with grammatical mistakes. "It sounds obvious, but employers tell us that spelling and grammatical errors are the No. 1 reason why they would put your application in the reject pile," she says. "Easy mistakes show potential employers that you aren't taking your application seriously and worse, may be careless on the job." She advises taking an extra 10 minutes to triple check everything. Watch your email address. Another common mistake among job hunters is to use an inappropriate email address as the contact address for employers. "Believe or not, we see some really bizarre email addresses from job-seekers," Costa says. "Something like KissMeIamIrish@email.com does not make you look professional." Instead, she advises creating an email address for your job search that consists of just your name -- seriously: only your name.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV