NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- New Oriental Education & Technology Group (EDU) rose 8.51% to $29.33 at 2:04 p.m. on Tuesday amid rumors that the Chinese company had formed a joint online education venture with Tencent Holdings.
The venture is just a rumor at this point, and New Oriental issued a statement to say that it has not selected an online joint venture partner yet.
The stock holds a one-year high of $34.50 and a one-year low of $15.63.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates NEW ORIENTAL ED & TECH as a "buy" with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate NEW ORIENTAL ED & TECH (EDU) a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, solid stock price performance and impressive record of earnings per share growth. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 0.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 25.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- EDU has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. To add to this, EDU has a quick ratio of 2.11, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Diversified Consumer Services industry and the overall market, NEW ORIENTAL ED & TECH's return on equity significantly exceeds that of the industry average and is above that of the S&P 500.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 130.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 84.98% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, EDU should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- NEW ORIENTAL ED & TECH reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Stable earnings per share over the past year indicate the company has sound management over its earnings and share float. We anticipate these figures will begin to experience more growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NEW ORIENTAL ED & TECH's EPS of $0.87 remained unchanged from the prior years' EPS of $0.87. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.33 versus $0.87).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: EDU Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV