NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- KB Home (KBH) stock is rising after beating analysts' estimates. The company earned 12 cents a share in the first quarter, 10 cents higher than expected, with revenue up 11.2% year over year to $450.7 million.
TheStreet's Jim Cramer, co-manager of the Action Alerts PLUS portfolio, said the company's earnings report was great. The only thing that could possibly "shoot this thing down" is if Federal Reserve Chairwoman Janet Yellen were to say the housing market was in a bubble, he said.
Cramer said raw costs are coming down for the homebuilders, which is helping to improve gross margins. He said it's "premature" to write off the homebuilders just yet.Turning to Apple (AAPL), an AAP holding, Cramer said analysts should stop trying "game" the stock by providing estimates for iPhone sales, earnings and other metrics. He said the analysts have been wrong for years predicting Apple's results, so they should stop trying. But while Apple has been vigorously iinnovative, that has yet to translate into better earnings and revenue.
Cramer said Apple's problem is stagnant revenue and earnings per share growth. The company isn't in the midst of a turnaround either, making it hard for investors to find catalysts to own the stock, Cramer said. He concluded that companies embracing new technology, such as Adobe Systems (ADBE), are being cheered by the market. Old technology stocks that have failed to embraced new technology, such as Oracle (ORCL), are being sold.
- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV