Updated from 12:37 p.m. to include news about Motorola launching own smartwatch in the fifth paragraph.
In a blog post, Google's SVP of Android, Chrome & Apps Sundar Pichai announced Android Wear, which extends Android to wearable technology, and starts with the most familiar piece of wearable tech -- watches.
Not only will a watch tell time, it will bring you "[u]seful information when you need it most. Android Wear shows you info and suggestions you need, right when you need them. The wide variety of Android applications means you'll receive the latest posts and updates from your favorite social apps, chats from your preferred messaging apps, notifications from shopping, news and photography apps, and more," Pichai penned in the blog post.Moto 360, its' first smartwatch based on Google's Android Wear operating system. Motorola is holding a Google Hangout tomorrow at 2 p.m. to unveil the watch. Much like Apple's (AAPL) oft-rumored iWatch, Android Wear allows you to monitor health and fitness stats. All of the fitness apps that are available for Android can be used in real-time, depending on exercise. Android Wear also allows you to control other devices from the watch, just by saying "OK Google," controlling either your phone, tablet or Chromecast. Google is allowing developers to download a preview so that existing apps can can work with Android Wear. "Because Android for wearables works with Android's rich notification system, many apps will already work well," Pichai wrote in the post. He noted that Google is already working with several partners on this, including Asus, HTC, LG, Motorola, Samsung, Broadcom, Imagination, Intel (INTC), Mediatek, Qualcomm (QCOM) and the Fossil Group (FOSL). Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV