This article originally appeared on RealMoney.com To read more content like this AND see inside Jim Cramers multi-million dollar portfolio for FREE - Click Here NOW.
A sucker rally, defined:
"A temporary rise in a specific stock or the market as a whole. A sucker rally occurs with little fundamental information to back the movement in price. This rally may continue just long enough for the "suckers" to get on board, after which the market or specific stock falls."
This is the first thing I thought of when watching the Dow rip at the open on Monday. The word on Twitter was that the Crimea vote was widely expected, and that the U.S.' initial sanctions on Russia wouldn't be that intense.So the market focused on improved industrial production data that are off a low prior month's base and, theoretically, priced into stocks a couple months ago. Gold was bid down, industrial stocks were bought, and all was well, except homebuilders, which were dumped amid industry data that were released ahead of key earnings reports from KB Home (KBH) and Lennar (LEN). Back to Russia. The execs I talk to are concerned about this matter, and the issue adds real uncertainty to their international expansion plans. Believe you me, over the next couple of weeks you will hear more talk about the next Cold War. It doesn't take a historian to know that this would be bad news for investors who have portfolios weighted in global companies. My opinion is that investors have gotten too complacent on geopolitical risks and are in for a punch to the face. Russia is frequently mentioned by execs as a fast-growing market that is getting more investment dollars. Here are two examples of companies that could be hurt by the rising tensions.
- Nike (NKE) has 99 stores in Russia, 57 of them factory stores. In 2013, revenue from Russia rose a cool 28%. By the way, Nike also designed the jerseys for the Russian ice hockey team, and it is supposed to be a major player for World Cup 2018 held in Russia.
- Yum! Brands' (YUM) KFC segment has 250 restaurants in Russia, and it plans to raise that total to 400 by 2015. In the past two years, KFC Russia has had the highest same-store sales growth rate for the brand globally.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV