Ballast Point Brewing's Sculpin IPA
Host city: San Diego
AleSmith, Stone, Pizza Port, Lost Abbey, Green Flash, Societe, Modern Times ... those are just some of the dozens of great breweries in San Diego whose beers we aren't going to get to here.
Listen, it's pretty much impossible to screw up getting a beer in this town. It's a craft beer hub, even waitstaff are incredibly beer savvy and there's a whole lot on tap to choose from. But if you had to have one to start out with -- or could only have one for your entire stay -- this is the one you need to go with.In a town filled with excellent IPA, this is arguably the best of the bunch -- if not the best in the entire country. Stone's "Enjoy By" series and Alpine's Nelson make strong arguments to the contrary -- and we encourage you to sort this out for yourself by trying all of them -- but Sculpin's crisp, fruity, powerful IPA has been so consistently excellent for so long that it gets our vote in a walk. With 70 IBUs that deliver as much of a sting as the beer's namesake fish and more bitterness than some 100 IBU offerings out there, this is an absolute beast. But with a middling 7% ABV and a finish that's sweet, citrusy and complex -- and doesn't feel as if someone took a hop-flavored scouring pad to your tongue -- Sculpin is one of the most enjoyable high-octane IPAs available. It drinks like a beer that the geeks would wait in line overnight for, but is available year-round and just about ubiquitous in San Diego. Ballast Point makes draft-only variations of Sculpin, but the original recipe is San Diego Beer 101.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV