Shares were running higher in recent weeks until March 11 when a report out of Citron Research taking Plug Power's (PLUG) financials to task sent the sector, and FuelCell, into free-fall.
By midafternoon Monday, FuelCell Energy has tumbled 7.3% to $2.80. Over the past five trading sessions, the Danbury, Conn.-based business has taken off 28.5%. However, this puts a minor dent in a stock that has rallied 99.3% since the beginning of the year.
Last Tuesday, fuel-cell stocks including Plug Power and FuelCell plummeted after Citron analysts said Plug Power would be fairly valued at 50 cents, a blended average of recent capital raises. The firm also estimated the company has lost close to $850 million since the 2000 crash and has yet to develop intellectual property or "meaningful revenue growth."STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. FCEL data by YCharts Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV