NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- JA Solar Holdings (JASO) climbed to profit for the first time in 10 quarters as the world's largest solar cell producer reported a net profit of $23 million, or 32 cents per American Depositary Share (ADS), in the fourth quarter ended Dec. 31. This compares to a net loss of $102.4 million, or $2.65 per ADS, in the same period one year earlier.
Revenue also increased 33% to $357.3 million. The results indicate recovery in the solar cell sector as Japan subsidizes power and China increases solar project installations.
JA Solar anticipates total cell and module shipments between 580 megawatt (MW) and 610 MW in the first quarter of the fiscal year 2014, compared to 665.5 MW shipped in the fourth quarter. For the full year, the company expects between 2.7 GW and 2.9 GW, up from 2.1 GW in 2013.
The stock hit a one-year high of $13.78 as of 10:15 a.m. on Monday.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates JA SOLAR HOLDINGS CO LTD as a "sell" with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate JA SOLAR HOLDINGS CO LTD (JASO) a SELL. This is driven by a few notable weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its poor profit margins and generally high debt management risk." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The gross profit margin for JA SOLAR HOLDINGS CO LTD is currently extremely low, coming in at 11.28%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, JASO's net profit margin of -12.98% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- JASO's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.89 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Despite the fact that JASO's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 0.66 is low and demonstrates weak liquidity.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, JA SOLAR HOLDINGS CO LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- JA SOLAR HOLDINGS CO LTD has improved earnings per share by 25.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, JA SOLAR HOLDINGS CO LTD reported poor results of -$6.81 versus -$2.80 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$1.43 versus -$6.81).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income increased by 37.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$60.31 million to -$37.51 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: JASO Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV