NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Vodafone (VOD) has gained about 1.4% Monday on news the British telecom giant had agreed to buy Spanish cable company Ono for 7.2 billion euros ($10 billion). The deal will be funded from existing cash and debt.
Vodafone has had ambitions to expand its telecom operations across Europe. The strategy to add fixed-line networks to supplement the company's mobile services has failed.
But management believes the Ono deal is an important first step to unite an industry that is scattered among 150 major telecom operators, which often function across national lines. This has caused (among other things) confusion and (at times) conflicts with various telecom standards.
Vodafone has plenty of money to make acquisitions. Its challenge has been improving its execution, particularly its inability to extract value from its emerging-market operations, which has frustrated shareholders. Today, however, the company's investors have plenty to be excited about. Chief Executive Vittorio Colao once promised that he would do a deal that would "transform" the company. It looks like he has made good on this promise.
There are plenty of reasons to suspect that Colao will be right on this bet. Vodafone reported a 10% decline in European revenue for the three months ended in December. I don't want to say the company's back was against the wall, but something needed to be done.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV