NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Welcome to ugly town. Russia has already liquidated $100 billion of U.S. Treasuries ahead of potential Western sanctions due to Crimea chaos. Further, the land of bear wrestling Putin has warned that it will pass a bill to freeze the assets of European and American companies that operate in Russia. Wowzers.
Believe you me, over the next couple of weeks you will hear more talk about the next Cold War. It doesn't take a Ronald Reagan historian to know this would be bad news for investors that have portfolios weighted in global companies. My humble view is that investors have gotten too complacent on geo-political risks, and are in for a rude awakening on this Russia vs. the West issue as Russia is frequently pitched by execs as a fast-growing market that is getting more investment dollars.
Here are two examples of companies that could be hurt by the rising tensions.
- Nike (NKE) has 99 stores in Russia, 57 of them factory stores. In 2013, revenues from Russia rose a cool 28%. BTW, Nike also designed the jerseys for the Russian Ice Hockey team, and is supposed to be a major player for World Cup 2018, which will be held in Russia.
- Yum! Brands' (YUM) KFC segment has 250 restaurants in Russia, with plans to raise that total to 400 by 2015. In the past two years, KFC Russia has had the highest same-store sales growth rate for the brand globally.
All of this is scarier than Ivan Drago in Rocky 4, that is for darn sure.Watch More Videos From Brian Sozzi -- By Brian Sozzi CEO of Belus Capital Advisors, analyst to TheStreet
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV