NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Friday, 6:30 a.m. PDT. Over my morning coffee I opened my trading account, brought up my charts and analytical tools and there it was, the perfect bull stock.
It was lower in price and in trading volume than I normally trade (only 37,000 for average daily volume). But what the hey, I decided to take a bit of a risk with it and bought in. There were too many bullish signals for me to pass up the opportunity.
At 6:55 a.m. PDT, I bought into SigmaTron International (SGMA) at $7.99.
Friday was an extremely busy day full of many meetings and other activities that precluded me from sitting in front of my computer all morning and afternoon. This was one of those trades where I was going to have to place it, set my stops, and check it when I could, if I could, from my phone throughout the day.
I set my stop order 1.5% below my entry point of $7.99. After entering into the position, my day was so chaotic that I was not able to check the stock's progress, which turned out to be a blessing.Checking back at around 12:30 p.m., just 30 minutes before the market closed, I found that SGMA had risen to roughly $8.20. Happy to have made 2.9% on a stock I barely had to manage, I wanted to realize those gains ASAP. Then I noticed that every signal on the stock was still in "Raging Bull Mode." So I let the day close without exiting my position. A few hours went by and I decided to check on the stock in after-hours trading, only to find it had gone up about 11% from the closing price of $8.22 to $9.17.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV