What Is Market Capitalization?
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Some words and concepts in finance are simple and easy enough to guess their meanings: diversification, mutual fund, risk management, price/earnings ratio.
Other financial terms always seem to throw me for a loop. Even though I understand them, I find myself secretly looking up these terms over and over again just to smash the concept into my head.
Thanks @Investopedia, @Nasdaq and @Stox for always being there for my financial definitional needs.
One of those evasive concepts is "market capitalization." I hear the term all the time and I look up a company's market capitalization for every stock I trade, so you know I know what it is. I use the computation and the concept of what market cap means in my stock selection and analysis, but when I try to define it I feel compelled to look it up again.
What is Market Capitalization?
Market Capitalization is the current market value of all of the shares of stock that are outstanding for a publicly traded company.
Not long ago, people spoke of large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap stocks. I blinked and somewhere along the way we went from these three categories to the six -- mega, large, mid, small, micro, and nano -- shown below.
These capitalization designations come from www.nasdaq.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV