China's biggest Internet search engine slid to its lowest level in a month, following worse-than-estimated economic data
Baidu Inc ADR (BIDU) slid over 4% amid China's factory production posting the worst start to a year since 2009.
The share price fall has been accentuated following fears of escalating crisis in Ukraine.
China's slower growthChina's factory-production posted the worst start to a year since 2009. Its factory-production grew 8.6% in January and February, while China's retail sales increased at the slowest pace since 2004. Baidu Inc (BIDU)'s fall also led to Chinese stocks trading in New York to a five-week low. China's retail sales - a key measure of consumer spending – too posted less-than-analysts' expectations. The retail sales increased 11.8% from the year-ago period, according to the National Bureau of Statistics. Moreover, China's fixed-asset investment, a measure of government spending on infrastructure, expanded 17.9%. The threat of a slowdown in the world's second-largest economy was echoed in stock performance. The Bloomberg China-US Equity Index of the most-traded stocks in the U.S. fell 2.7% to 96.49, extending a five-day slump to 8.2%.
Toxic cocktail of market uncertaintyThe largest Chinese exchange-traded fund in the U.S – the iShares China Large-Cap ETF- dropped 2.5% to an eight-month low of $32.98, while the Standard & Poor's 500 Index retreated 1.2%. According to Alastair McCaig, analyst at IG: "Today has the a distinct whiff of a 'risk-off' day as traders clear the decks ahead of Crimea voting this weekend". David Bulk, market strategist at Panmure Gordon, said there is a 'toxic cocktail' of market uncertainty at the moment. US Secretary of State John Kerry is in London for key talks on Ukraine with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov, as a disputed referendum in Crimea looms on Sunday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV