By midafternoon, shares had surged 13.7% to $6.80.
Trading volume of 1.4 million was more than triple its three-month daily average.
Houston-based VAALCO reported net income of $26.4 million, or 46 cents a share, in the three months to December compared to a net loss of $18.9 million, or 33 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter.Analysts had expected net income of 34 cents a share, according to averages compiled by Thomson Reuters. Over fiscal 2013, the crude oil and natural gas producer reported net income of 74 cents a share, 9 cents higher than estimates. Full-year revenue of $169.28 million was slightly higher than consensus of $168.1 million. However, sales dropped 13.3% lower than a year earlier. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates VAALCO ENERGY INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate VAALCO ENERGY INC (EGY) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's return on equity has been disappointing."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: EGY Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV