By early afternoon, shares had added 2.2% to $32.20.
The theme park chain saw revenue increase 3% in the three months to December to $272 million, boosted by a jump in revenue per capita but partially offset by decreased turnout.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had anticipated $271.4 million in revenue.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Quarterly attendance declined by 1.4% to 4.5 million across its portfolio of parks, though in SeaWorld-branded parks alone attendance hit a record fourth-quarter high. SeaWorld attendance came in spite of increased pressure from activists and the release of Blackfish, a documentary investigating SeaWorld's treatment of its captive orcas. During a post-earnings conference call, CEO Jim Atchison said of the film, "With respect to the impact on our business, as much as we're asked it, we can see no noticeable impact." The company reported a net loss of 15 cents a share in the three months to December, in line with analysts' expectations but wider than a loss of 11 cents in the year-ago quarter. SeaWorld noted due to the seasonal nature of its business, it isn't unusual for it to see losses in the first and fourth quarters which are more than offset by a profit surge in the warmer-weather months. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV