By late morning, shares had plummeted 14.5% to $4.36.
The wave-energy specialist reported revenue of $200,000 in the three months to January, a 77.8% year-on-year decrease compared to the year-ago quarter.
"This decrease related primarily to a lower level of external funding for the Company's PowerBuoy development projects, a decline in revenue tied to OPT's prospective PowerBuoy deployment off Reedsport, Oregon, which has been suspended pending resolution of regulatory, financial and other matters, and a decline in revenue from the Company's project off the coast of Spain," the company said in a statement.Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had expected revenue of $920,000. The Pennington, N.J.-based business managed to limit its net loss over the quarter due to lower selling, general and administrative costs, particularly employee-related costs. The company also reported a higher income tax benefit due to the sale of New Jersey net operating tax losses and research and development tax credits. Net losses of 6 cents a share were narrower than analysts' estimates for a 31-cent net loss. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates OCEAN POWER TECHNOLOGIES INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate OCEAN POWER TECHNOLOGIES INC (OPTT) a SELL. This is driven by some concerns, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and poor profit margins."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: OPTT Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV