DigiTimes, which admittedly has a spotty track record when it comes to Apple rumors, reports that Apple has decided to pass on the rumored 12.9-inch version of the iPad, apparently dubbed the iPad Pro. In January at the Consumer Electronics Show, Samsung announced two Pro tablets, the Galaxy Tab Pro tablet, which will come in 3 sizes, and the Note Pro, which only has a 12.2-inch screen. Samsung's Pro tablets run on Google's (GOOG) Android operating system.
DigiTimes described the rationale for scrapping the larger tablet as "lack of support from related platform developers and ecosystems," as it pertains to other original equipment manufacturers (OEMs).
Meanwhile, Google has decided to push an 8.9-inch Nexus tablet for 2014, showing that the Internet giant is starting to shift its focus to larger-size applications.
Samsung has pushed hard in the marketplace with its Galaxy Tab Pro and Note Pro tablets, albeit with very limited success. DigiTimes noted that the tablets, which are geared towards the enterprise market, are not enterprise friendly, with the business apps seen as "inferior" compared to those on PCs. In addition, the new user interface is exceedingly different than the typical Android one. As such, Digitimes Research expects Samsung will only ship around 1 million units of its new 12.2-inch tablet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV