How Much Do America's Top Female Execs Make?
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Women have been a mainstay in the modern workplace for the better part of a century, yet still earn a fraction of what men do.
The numbers speak volumes. In his recent State of the Union Address, President Barack Obama noted women make an average of 23 cents on the dollar less than men, yet two-thirds of American families rely on a female wage for a significant share of total household income.
Separately, in its most recent deep-dive into the data, the U.S. Bureau of Labor found that though 2012 median earnings for both sexes averages $768 per week, female workers earn only 89% of the total at $691 per week.Where women workers hold the jobs isn't an even spread, either. Females represent nearly two-thirds of minimum wage workers, according to the National Women's Law Center. And there's little progress in rectifying this through a trickle-down approach; things aren't much changing at the top. A recent survey by feminist research firm Catalyst shows women only occupy 14.6% of the top executive positions at Fortune 500 companies, barely a nudge higher than 14.3% in 2012. While the fight to achieve financial parity continues, in the least it's comforting to know some have managed to not only break through the glass ceiling but are now shattering it with pointed heel. At most, it can be a rallying call to others to never stop fighting, to demand recognition of worth, until true equality exists at the water cooler, in the boardroom, in every corner of the world. Meet your next role models. These are the 10 highest-paid female executives in America. N.B. All compensatory figures sourced from Bloomberg data.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV