BATTLE CREEK, Mich., March 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Amy Purdy, U.S. Paralympian and member of Team Kellogg's™, took the first-ever bronze medal today in the Paralympic women's snowboardcross event in Sochi. Purdy finished with a final time of 2:14.29.
"It's a dream come true to represent my country, my sport and Team Kellogg's on the podium at the 2014 Paralympic Winter Games," said Purdy. "My great start toward a second chance at life got me to where I am today, and I couldn't be more thankful to everyone around me for their support."
Kellogg's® and Team Kellogg's Team Up for Great Starts Kellogg's believes everyone deserves a great start, and that begins with breakfast. However, one in five kids goes without breakfast every day. 1 By supporting Team Kellogg's and their great starts, you can help provide 2 million breakfasts to kids in need through the "Give a Great Start" program 2.
- Each time a fan tags a Facebook or Twitter post with #greatstarts, Kellogg's will help provide breakfast to a child in need.
- Kellogg's has chronicled the inspirational beginnings of Team Kellogg's athletes in a series of moving "Start Story" videos that follow the athletes' journeys, which can be seen at Kelloggs.com/teamusa . For each view, like or share of the Start Stories, Kellogg's will help provide breakfast to a child in need.
While Purdy is now helping provide great starts, she had to restart her own life after she became a double amputee and kidney transplant survivor due to a severe meningitis infection at age 19. Instead of giving up hope, she decided to live her life to the fullest and continue to pursue her dream of snowboarding. During her first attempt at snowboarding, her knees and ankles wouldn't bend and, according to her, she ended up traumatizing all the skiers on the chairlift when she fell and her legs, still attached to her snowboard, went flying down the mountain while she stayed at the top. Despite the challenges, she has managed to become one of the top ranked U.S. adaptive snowboarders and was instrumental in the sport being included in the 2014 Paralympic Winter Games.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts