Pacific Crest Securities analyst Chad Bartley, who rates Amazon "outperform" with a $460 price target, believes that Prime is going to be a major initiative for the company in the years to come, given the value proposition of Prime, and what's to come in the future for the service. Bartley believes that Amazon reached 21.5 million Prime members at the end of 2013, which would represent 47% year-over-year growth. That estimate would be an acceleration from 2012, when Bartley believes Amazon saw Prime members rise 46%.
According to a survey conducted by Bartley, most Prime members have joined the service in the last two years. Some 30% of Prime members haved subscribed to the service for less than one year, 34% for 1 to 2 years, 21% for 2 to 3 years, and 15% for three or more years, he said. Amazon started the free, two-day shipping and digital content service in 2005, when Bartley estimates it had just 600,000 subscribers.
ChannelAdvisor recently estimated that Amazon has around 23 million Prime members, which could mean that Amazon could end the first-quarter with around 23.75 million subscribers.It's not known exactly how many Prime members Amazon has, but Macquarie analyst Ben Schacter recently confirmed with Amazon that it had more than 20 million members. Shares of Amazon were higher in Friday pre-market trading, gaining 0.8% to $374.50. (NFLX) $7.99-a-month streaming service, Bartley believes there will be some churn in the service. This, he noted, will be in the "middle to high teens, which would make the price increase revenue accretive to Amazon. Churn of lower-spending members and higher Prime pricing should also help profit margins." In comparison, Netflix has over 33 million streaming subscribers, but does not offer any benefits to customers outside of content, whereas Amazon Prime offers two-day shipping for goods.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV