Global alternative asset manager The Carlyle Group (NASDAQ: CG) today announced that former General Motors Chairman and CEO Daniel F. Akerson rejoined the firm on March 1, 2014 as Vice Chairman and Special Advisor to the Board of Directors. In these new roles, Mr. Akerson, 65, will give operational, investment and management guidance to Carlyle’s investment teams, firm management and the Board of Directors. He is based in Carlyle’s Washington, DC headquarters.
Carlyle Co-Founder and Chairman of the Board Daniel A. D’Aniello said, “It is a delight to welcome Dan back to Carlyle. His remarkable depth of leadership experience will be a great asset to the Board and our investment teams. We applaud his leadership in the successful turnaround of General Motors, and look forward to his expertise in the years to come in service to our investors.”
Mr. Akerson said, “Carlyle is a natural fit as I embark on this next chapter of my professional life and I’m excited to return to familiar faces and new challenges. Carlyle’s long-term view of markets and investing has helped it to grow and successfully meet the changing needs of our investors. I look forward to strategic work with the Board and the executive team, and collaborating with Carlyle’s talented investment professionals.”
Mr. Akerson returns to Carlyle with extensive leadership, management and operating experience. Prior to joining GM in 2009, Mr. Akerson was a Managing Director of The Carlyle Group, serving as Head of Global Buyout from July 2009 to August 2010 and as Co-Head of U.S. Buyout from June 2003 to June 2009. Before joining Carlyle the first time, Mr. Akerson served in a number of senior corporate leadership roles, including President and COO of MCI Communications, Chairman and CEO of General Instruments, Chairman and CEO of Nextel, and Chairman and CEO of XO Communications.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV